Sunday, April 12, 2015

Weekend Flower Market near Labor Park

On Saturday morning, my friends Kei and Leyang took me to the weekend flower market located near Labor Park. It's located in the southern part of the city not too far from the harbor area. This market was AMAZING! My apologies for the many photos but you know I can't help myself. The market is set up every Saturday and Sunday along the outer edge of the park so you can easily get around. This was by far the best flower/plant market I have ever seen...and SO inexpensive!

 The variety of plants was incredible! It's considered "spring" here so there are some plants that are in season - orchids and amaryllis in particular.


 I have never seen so many orchids in one place! What is even more incredible is that you can purchase most of them for about 100 NTD (about $3).



 I bought one of the plants in the front from this gentleman.

 You can also purchase fish for an aquarium or for your pond/water display in your garden.




 Orchids, orchids and more orchids!


 These hanging plants are also in season. They are planted in burlap bags or driftwood and they bloom for only a week or two each year.



 Look at the number of blossoms on these plants! How is that even possible?

 This may be hard to see but these "berries" grow on the trunk of the plant. It's called a jabuticaba and it comes from Brazil. 

The photo above is an image I found online of a fully grown tree.
The fruit is thick skinned and purple. The skin is really tart and the fruit inside is sweet and delicious. The shelf-life is really short (only about 4 days) so you will rarely seen outside of the areas where they are grown. You can eat them raw but because they don't last a long time, they are often used to make jam, tarts and liquors.




 I bought one of these cool plants!


 Cactus in bloom...
 See the sign, 12 orchid plants for 600 (that's less than $20)!


I bought a few plants that are now residing on my balcony and I plan on going back to get a few more. Next time, I'll concentrate on fresh herbs!

1 comment: